EDUCATION: PhD of Material Science, University of Cambridge
Research Interest: Energy materials, Hydrogen storage materials, Battery technology
Honorary Professor, School of Materials Science & Engineering, UNSW Sydney, Australia 2021 -
Professor, Department of Materials Science and Engineering, National Taiwan University, Taiwan ROC -2003
Honours, Awards and Memberships:
Fellow, Institute of Materials, Minerals and Mining, UK
Fellow, Australian Institute of Energy
Chartered Engineer, UK
Chartered Scientist, UK
Professional Member, Chinese Society for Materials Science
Co-editor-in-chief, “Materials Chemistry and Physics”
UNSW Vice-Chancellor Teaching Excellence Award, 2014
UNSW Faculty of Science Teaching Excellence Award, 2010
My research interests are in the areas of energy-materials, hydrogen storage, battery technology, and metal matrix composites (MMCs).
Some Recent Publications
- Z. Weng, I. Retita, Y-S Tseng, A.J Berry, D.R Scott, D. Leung, Y. Wang and S.L.I. Chan, (2021): “γ-MgH2 induced by high pressure for low temperature dehydrogenation”, International Journal of Hydrogen Energy. 46, 5441-5448
- P. Pongali, W.Y. Wong, S.K. Kamarudin, N.A.H. Abas, A.L.S. Lo, S.L.I. Chan, K.L. Lim, (2020): “Corrosion and discharge performance of aluminum alloy (Al 6061) as anode for electrolyte activated battery”, Sains Malaysiana 49, 3189-3200.
- N.F. Hayazi, Y. Wang and S.L.I. Chan, (2020): “Unlocking the metastable phases and mechanisms in the dehydrogenation process of titanium hydride”; Materials Characterization 161, 110-128.
- D. Guo, C.T. Kwok and S.L.I. Chan (2019): “Spindle speed in friction surfacing of 316L stainless steel–How it affects the microstructure, hardness and pitting corrosion resistance” Surface and Coatings Technology 357, 339.
- D Guo, CT Kwok and SLI Chan (2019): “Strengthened Forced Convection – A Novel Method for Improving the Pitting Corrosion Resistance of Friction-Surfaced Stainless Steel Coating”; Materials and Design, 182, 108037 (2019)
- D. Guo, C.T. Kwok and S.L.I. Chan, 2018: “Fabrication of stainless steel 316L/TiB2 composite coating via friction surfacing”; Surface & Coatings Technology, 350.
- S. Gurpreet, S.L.I. Chan and S. Neeraj, 2018: “Parametric study on the dry sliding wear behaviour of AA6082–T6/TiB2 in situ composites using response surface methodology”; Journal of the Brazilian Society of Mechanical Sciences and Engineering, 40 310.
- K.L. Lim, Y. Liu, Q.A. Zhang, K.S. Lin, S.L.I. Chan, 2017: “Cycle stability of La-Mg-Ni based hydrogen storage alloys in a gas–solid reaction”; International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 42, 23737-23745.
- Y. Wei, KL Lim, YS Tseng, SLI Chan 2017: “A review on the characterization of hydrogen in hydrogen storage materials”, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 79, 1122-1133.
- G-X Li, Z-Q Lan, Y-S Tseng, W-Z Z, J Guo, S.L.I. Chan, 2017: “Penetration and Diffusion of Hydrogen in Mg2Ni: a First-principles Investigation”, International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 42 (5), pp. 3097-3105.
- Y.T. Lee, P.J. Tsai, V.K. Peterson, B. Yang, K.S. Lin, M. Zhu, K.L. Lim, Y.S. Tseng, S.L.I. Chan 2016: “A Microstructural and Neutron Diffraction Study of Microwave Irradiated Multi-walled Carbon Nanotubes for Hydrogen Storage”, Journal of Materials Science, 51 (3), pp. 1308-1315.
- K. L. Lim, Y-N. Liu, Q-A Zhang, K-S Lin, S.L.I. Chan 2016: “Cycle Stability Improvement of La-Mg-Ni Based Alloys via Composite Method”, Journal of Alloys and Compounds, 661, pp. 274-281.
Publications include 3 book chapters, 100+ refereed journal papers and similar number of conference papers. Named a corresponding author of one of the top 1% most highly cited papers in his field worldwide – Council of Canadian Academies.